For the dough
- 3 cups all purpose flour German wheat flour 450
- 3/4 cups milk
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
For the filling
For the topping
- 1 cup spring onions, parsley and dill, diced
- 8 oz sour cream
Making the dough
- Sift flour, combine in medium bowl with salt, eggs, milk and vegetable oil
- Mix by hand and knead into smooth dough. Cover bowl and let rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Divide the dough into 3 pieces. Roll each piece on a floured surface to a thickness of about 1/8 inch (3mm).
- Use glass or round cookie cutter and cut circles of about 4 inches
Making the filling
- Cut potatoes into small 1/4 inch cubes
- Dice onions into small pieces
- Cut leeks into 3/4 in slices
- Fry onions in vegetable oil and butter, until golden brown. Set aside
- Mix seasoning with potato cube, place cubes into pan, add vegetable oil, if needed, and fry until lightly browned and tender. Add leeks and fry for another 3-4 minutes at medium heat until crips and brown. Remove from pan
- Mix onions, potatoes and sauerkraut.
Filling the dumplings
- Spoon the filling into the middle of the dough circles
- Fold circle into half to form a semi-circle and pinch the edges with wet hands. Make 10 dumplings
- Place dumplings into freezer for 30 minutes or overnight
Cooking and serving the dumplings
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Drop 10 dumplings into water and cook for 3-5 minutes until they float on the surface.
- Remove from the water with a slotted spoon and lightly brush each dumpling with oil to prevent sticking. If desired, fry dumplings to achieve a crips surface
- Sprinkle with spring onions, parsley and dill and serve with a side of sour cream