This is a spiked up side dish for a great year-end meal, such as Thanksgiving dinner, St.Martin's goose or Christmas dinner.
- 42 ounces fresh red cabbage or 2 jars of Red Cabbage for example from Hengstenberg or Kuehne
- pinch salt
- 1 medium size yellow onion
- 1 sour-flavored apple such as Grannie Smith
- 1 tablespoon tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces red currant juice for example from Voelkel or Haus Rabenhorst
- 2 laurel leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 4 teaspoons Cassis red currant liquor
Clean the fresh red cabbage, remove trunk and cut into thin strips (julienne). Mix red cabbage with salt in a bowl. Alternatively, drain the red cabbage from glass jars.
Peel and cut onions and apples into small cubes. Heat oil and butter mix in cooking pot or Dutch oven and fry onion and apple cubes for 3 minutes until brown.
Stir red cabbage into pan and fry for 2 more minutes.
Add red currant juice, laurel, cinnamon and cloves, stir, cover and cook on medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add cassis and season with salt and pepper, stir and serve.