Serve these cakes warm at a cocktail party, and let your guests choose their toppings.
- 8 cups frozen shredded potatoes loosely packed
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 cups sauerkraut in white wine
- 4 slices Black forest ham
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sweet mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 6 ounces smoked salmon
- 1 large scallion finely diced
- 1/4 cup crème fraiche
- 1 tablespoon creamy horseradish
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons German curry ketchup
- 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts shredded
Combine potatoes, beaten eggs, flour, salt and pepper in a large bowl and stir well, until flour is no longer visible. Heat 1 inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet, and use a 1/4 cup measure to scoop three piles of potato mixture into hot oil. Let fry on medium-high heat about until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Turn cakes and press down with a spatula, flattening them as much as possible. Fry until golden brown, and remove onto paper towels. Repeat with remaining potato mixture. Serve pancakes immediately, or store refrigerated until ready to serve, and reheat in a 350 degrees F oven for 10 minutes.
Slice the ham into strips. Combine with drained sauerkraut, and add the olive oil, mustard and thyme. Stir gently and serve.
Combine the salmon, scallion, crème fraiche, creamy horseradish, and dill. Stir gently and serve.
Combine the German curry ketchup, barbecue sauce, and balsamic vinegar in a saucepan. Add the shredded meat and cook on low heat, stirring occasionally, until warm throughout. Serve.