An appetizer of grilled ham-wrapped shrimp served over sesame stir-fried napa cabbage and sauerkraut. Recipe created for Germanfoods.org by Chef Hans Roeckenwagner.
- 18 shrimp peeled and deveined, 8 to 12 count size
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 large sage leaves
- 18 thinslices German Black Forest or Westphalian ham
- 1 tablespoon Preiselbeeren (lingonberries, or cranberries)
- 6 wooden skewers soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons blended sesame oil
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 cup very tightly packed and well-drained sauerkraut
- 4 cups tightly packed chopped or shredded green cabbage
- slices Small red pepper and scallionfor garnish
Preheat the grill.
Toss shrimp in olive oil. Place a sage leaf on each shrimp and wrap with ham. Skewer 3 shrimp per skewer and grill over medium heat until shrimp appear translucent at thick end.
Spoon Preiselbeeren over each and serve over stir-fried cabbage and sauerkraut.
Heat a large skillet or wok. Add sesame seeds, tossing until they turn golden and begin to pop. Transfer to a small plate and set aside.
Heat peanut oil and sesame oil in skillet; add sauerkraut and red pepper. Stir-fry on medium heat until sauerkraut begins to brown. Add cabbage and stir-fry just until it wilts. Add sesame seeds, and stir gently. Garnish with red pepper and scallions. Serve.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Hans Röckenwagner, of Röckenwagner restaurant, Los Angeles