Our colorful Stuttgarter Spätzle is pleasing to the eye and the tastebuds and is sure to warm even the most dampened spirits! German comfort food: spaetzle made with ham, red onions, Emmenthaler cheese and wilted mache salad greens.
- 2-1/4 cups chopped German Black Forest Ham
- 3/4 cup sliced red onions
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated German Emmentaler cheese
- 3/4 cup blanched fresh or frozen peas
- 3 oz Mache salad greens washed and dried
- 8 oz German spaetzle pasta cooked according to package instructions and drained
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- grated German Emmenthal Cheese to garnish
Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat, add Black Forest ham and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Add onions and continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes until softened, stir in the garlic and continue cooking for one more minute.
Pour in the cream, stir in the grated cheese and cook until slightly reduced about 1 minute.
Add peas, Mache and Spaetzle pasta and heat through until Mache greens are just wilted.
Season to taste with salt and pepper, and garnish with freshly grated Emmentaler cheese, if desired.