Apfel Schoko Trifle
A whiskey tumbler filled with chocolate cake, caramelized apples, vanilla pudding and whipping cream makes a great dessert for the winter holiday season, especially a New Year's Eve party.
- 6 whiskey tumblers or shot glasses
For the cake
- 1 box Kathi Chocolate Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- 7 oz butter 200g
- 3/4 tbsp water
For the carmelized apples
- 4 medium-sized apples
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream 200 g
- 16.8 oz milk 500 ml
- 1 packet instant vanilla pudding
Recipe courtesy of Kathi Baking Mixes
- Prepare Kathi's Chocolate Cake Mix as directed. Spread dough onto a well greased and floured cookie sheet and bake for about 25-30 minutes at 350° F until toothpick comes out clean. (Baking times may vary depending on oven type and altitude.)
- Place on cooling rack. Let sit for about 50 minutes and cool to room temperature.
- Prepare the instant vanilla pudding as directed and let it cool to room temperature.
- Rinse the apples before peeling, halve them lengthwise, remove the core and slice. Reserving 6 intact slices, cut the remaining apple slices into small cubes.
- Melt sugar and butter in a pan until the sugar starts turning brown. Now caramelize the cubed apples.
- Press a whiskey glass onto cooled cake layer, cutting out 12 circles. Place 1 circle in each glass. Top with 2 tbsp of the warm caramelized apples and a layer of pudding. Repeat the layers (cake, fruit, pudding) once more.
- Beat the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form and spread it equally over all 12 glasses.
- Cut the remaining sheet cake in pieces, put it on top of the whipped cream and place the apple slices decoratively on top.