A very festive canape of piped bluecheese mousse topped with gooseberry chutney and homemade hazelnut brittle. Recipe courtesy of Chef Uta Schepers.
Servings 40 canapes
- 10 slices pumpernickel
- 1 lb Bavaria blue cheese
- 5 oz cream cheese
- 12 oz gooseberries drained and roughly chopped
- 2 beach plums finely diced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- sugar as needed
- 1 cup hazelnuts chopped
Recipe courtesy of Uta Schepers, Special Projects Chef, Johnson and Wales University
- Quarter each slice of pumpernickel.
- In a blender mix Bavaria Blue cheese and cream cheese until soft. Place cheese in piping bag.
- In a small sauce pan, caramelize 3 tablespoons of sugar. Add plums and deglaze with white wine. Add gooseberries and lemon juice and simmer at low heat until all liquid is evaporated.
- In a medium size saute pan melt sugar, add hazelnuts and caramelize. Pour sugar and nuts onto silpat mat and allow to cool. When cooled, break the brittle into small pieces.
- Pipe cheese mixture on each piece of pumpernickel, top with gooseberry chutney and garnish with a piece of hazelnut brittle.