Liver dumpling soup is popular throughout Central Europe. This is a traditional Bavarian version, frequently found on menus in that region. The soup is mild and flavorful enough that even liver-haters enjoy it.
- 6 oz beef liver
- 7 oz ground pork
- 1/2 loaf dried bread sliced
- 1 tsp lard
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 34 oz beef broth
Recipe adapted from chefkoch.de
- Chop the liver into fine pieces and mince together with the pork. Soak the bread in milk until soft, drain then chop into cubes and add to the meat mixture. Mix in the onions, egg, salt, pepper, lard, and butter. Continue to mix until well combined. Next add the breadcrumbs slowly until thick enough to hold its shape as a ball
- Let the mixture sit in the fridge until cool. Then divide into 6 parts and roll into balls.
- Add the dough balls to the beef broth. Bring to a boil, and cook for 30 minutes. When the dumplings are all evenly cooked through, remove them from the broth.
- Pour the remaining broth though a strainer and into a pot so that only the broth remains. Then add the egg yolk slowly and stir while adding. (Do not continue to cook the broth at this point or you will cook the yolk.)
- Add the dumplings and serve .
Calories: 241kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 242mg | Sodium: 972mg | Potassium: 441mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 7370IU | Vitamin C: 2.4mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 3.2mg
WMF Premium Stainless 6 Pot Set
Mueller 6 QT Ultra Pot