- 1 pound small young beets
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 cloves
- ¼ cup prepared horseradish
- 1 fresh ginger thumbnail-size piece, peeled and finely grated
- Bring a kettle of water to a boil. Cut the tops off the beets, leaving about 1 inch of the stem and roots on to prevent the beets from bleeding.
- Place the beets in a saucepan and pour boiling water over them. Add the caraway seeds and salt. Cover and cook over low to medium heat for 30 minutes to 1 hour until tender. Check for doneness with a sharp knife.
- Drain and cool the beets. Slip off the beet skins and cut in ¼-inch slices.
- In a small saucepan, mix the vinegar with ½ cup water. Add the sugar and cloves and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and pour the hot mixture over the warm beets. Toss with the horseradish and giner.
- Cover and refrigerate the salad for 2 days before serving.