A German potato and winter vegetable soup with bacon and sausage, Berlin-style.
- 1-1/3 lb mealy potatoes such as russets
- 1 large onion
- 3-1/2 oz streaky bacon
- 1 leek
- 7 oz carrots
- 1/2 celery root or celery ribs
- 1 parsley root
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 4 teaspoons oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/3 teaspoon caraway
- freshly ground pepper
- 4 Wiener sausages
- Peel and chop onion, Peel and dice potatoes. Wash and slice leek. Peel and chop carrots, celery and parsley-root. Dice bacon and put into a deep pan with hot oil, add onion and sauté until glassy. Add the vegetables and stew for 10 min. Cover with vegetable stock, add marjoram, caraway and cook for about 30 min.
- Remove 1/3 of greens and keep into a pot. Mash remaining vegetables to thick consistence. Add diced veggies and season with fresh ground pepper. Slice sausages and let simmer into the soup.
- Serve hot with fresh chopped parsley, roasted onions ad fresh coarse rye bread.