- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 oz fresh yeast`
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup lukewarm milk plus 2 tbsp
- 5 egg yolks
- 2-1/2 oz butter at room temperature
- Vegetable oil for frying
- German jam such as rosehip, raspberry, cherry, plum or apricot
- Place the flour in a bowl, make a well in the center. Crumble the yeast into it with 1 tbsp sugar and 3 tbsp lukewarm milk. Mix together and allow to stand in a warm place for about 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining milk, sugar, egg yolks, room temperature butter and a pinch of salt to the dough and knead into a smooth dough in a food processor with a dough kneading attachment. Mix until the dough appears to detach easily from the sides of the bowl.
- Allow the dough to rise in a warm place until it doubles in size (approx 30-60 minutes).
- Roll out the dough into 3/4 inch thickness on a floured surface and cut of circles approximately 3 inches in diameter using a glass or cup. Allow the cut-out dough circles to stand for a further 10 minutes covered with a dish towel.
- Heat the oil to 370 degrees F in a deep-fryer or large saucepan. Lower the donuts 2 to 3 at a time into the hot oil and fry until the puff up and turn golden brown.
- Remove the fried donuts from the oil with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on paper towels.
- Allow the donuts to cool then fill them with jam using a decorating syringe with a long thin needle. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar and enjoy!