A traditional green bean soup with bacon, onion, potatoes from Saarland in Germany.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion
- 1 lb potatoes
- 2 lbs trimmed fresh or frozen green beans
- 1/2 gallon broth (chicken, beef or vegetable)
- 1 cup heavy cream or sour cream
- 2-3 carrots
- 1 leek
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh savory
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and sauté in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until onions turn translucent.
- Wash and peel the potatoes and cut them into small cubes. Clean the beans and cut them at an angle into 1/2 inch pieces. Add the potatoes, beans, broth and the savory. Stir and heat until the broth starts to boil. Reduce to low heat and cook for about an hour. Remove the savory. Season to taste with salt, pepper and ground nutmeg.
- Take the pot off the stove and purée about one third of it in a blender or using a handheld mixer. Add the cream to the pureed soup and combine it with the soup in the stockpot. Return the soup to the stove and reheat it thoroughly, being careful not to let it come to a boil.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve hot.