Cherry flavors from the Black Forest abound in this custard dessert flavored with Kirschwasser cherry brandy and topped with pureed preserved Morello cherries.
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 cup milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 sheets sheets unflavored white gelatin or 4 envelopes
- 2 shots Kirschwasser 4-8 cl
- 2 tablespoons chocolate shavings
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 pound Morello cherries preserved
For the garnish:
- 2 oz dark chocolate
- lemon balm leaves
- In a medium saucepan, add the vanilla bean to the milk and bring to a near boil. Take out the vanilla bean, cut it open and scrape the seeds into the milk. Mix the egg yolks with the sugar and add to the hot milk. Continuously whisk the mixture until it comes to a boil. Add the re-hydrated gelatin and the Kirsch and place in the refrigerator for about half an hour.
- Whip the cream with an electric mixer. Fold the whipped cream and the chocolate shavings into the chilled mixture. Divide the cream evenly among 6 dessert glasses and place them back in the refrigerator. Purée the preserved Morello cherries and pour on top of the cream.
- Garnish with cherries dipped into melted dark chocolate.