A delicious German take on the familiar Chicken Cordon Bleu using Limburger cheese and Black Forest ham.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts butterflied
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and freshly ground whole black peppercorns
- 4 1 ounce slices German Limburger cheese rind removed
- 8 slices German Black Forest ham
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1-1/2 cups bread crumbs
- fresh flat-leaf parsley optional
Recipe courtesy of Chef Faith Alahverdian, Executive Chef Shoprite Culinary Workshop
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Season each butterflied chicken breast with paprika, garlic, salt, and pepper on all sides. Lie each piece flat on a cutting board; place 2 slices of ham and 1 slice of cheese inside each. Fold over to seal the chicken breast. Insert a wooden toothpick at each end to seal.
Dredge chicken breasts in flour, egg, and then bread crumbs. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Dot with vegetable oil and bake until chicken reaches 180 degrees F, about 10 minutes. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes