Gekochtes Rindfleisch mit Grüner Sosse
A one-pot meal, boiled beef with vegetables with a creamy green herb and chopped egg sauce. Typical dish from Hesse, Germany.
- 2 pounds top round roast
- 1 leek cleaned, trimmed and chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 turnip peeled and chopped
- 2 onions peeled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 8 ounces mixed herbs (chives, parsley, borage, sorrel, cress, pimpernel and chervil)
- 2 cups yogurt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- salt and pepper
Boil the beef in a stockpot together with the bay leaf, peppercorns and vegetables for about a hour until meat is tender.
Combine the yogurt, sour cream, mayonnaise, mustard and add salt and pepper to taste. Chop the herbs finely after picking them over for culls and removing the stems. Chop the eggs coarsely and add the herbs and eggs to the sauce. Allow to stand for 30 minutes before serving and refrigerate if not serving right away.
Cut the meat just before serving and serve with the sauce.