Red cabbage braised with onion, apple and seasonings is a versatile side dish and the perfect accompaniment to Sauerbraten. Recipe by Chef David St John-Grubb.
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease or butter
- 2 small heads red cabbage quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 large tart apple such as Granny Smith, cored and cut into 8 pieces
- 1 large onion peeled, halved and sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter optional
Recipe courtesy of Chef David St John-Grubb
Heat a large sauté pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the bacon grease and heat. Add the cabbage, onions and apples and stir to coat. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until cabbage is tender, about 40 minutes. (If there is too much liquid, remove the lid and allow some to evaporate. The cabbage should be very moist, but not soupy.)
Serve immediately or keep warm over low heat. This dish also reheats very well.