- 4 ounces ham
- 1 bunch chives
- 2 ounces butter
- 6 slices hearty wheat bread cubed*
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1-1/2 ounces Allgäuer Emmentaler Cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- Melt half the butter in a saucepan and gently fry 3/4 of the bread cubes. Pour in the beef broth, bring to a boil and beat with a whisk until smooth. Beat together the cream, cheese and egg yolk with a whisk until blended and add to the soup. Stir until both sets of ingredients are blended.
- Chop the ham and chives and sprinkle over the soup.
- Melt the rest of the butter in a frying pan and fry the rest of the bread cubes until golden brown and sprinkle over the soup.