Emmenthaler cheese and bread crumbs add their caramelized flavors to the oysters in this broiled recipe from Germany's Isle of Sylt.
- 1/2 cup shredded artisan cheese such as Emmentaler (2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 24 oysters on the half shell
- few dots of unsalted butter
Recipe courtesy of Nadia Hassani, Spoonfuls of Germany
- Preheat the broiler and position the rack about 6 inches from the heat.
- In a small bowl, combine the cheese and bread crumbs
- Arrange the oysters in a broiler pan. Spoon the cheese and bread crumb mixture over each oyster and dot with butter. Slide the pan under the hot broiler and stand guard in front of the oven to remove oysters from the oven when the tops are lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately.