This is delightfully spiked up side dish featuring red cabbage is ideal for a year-end meal, such as Thanksgiving, St. Martin’s Day or Christmas.
Blaukraut mit Cassis
- 42 ounces fresh red cabbage (or 2 jars of pickled red cabbage, for example from Hengstenberg or Kuehne)
- pinch Salt
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion
- 1 sour-flavored apple such as Grannie Smith
- 1 tablespoon tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces red currant juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 4 teaspoons cassis
- Clean the fresh red cabbage, remove trunk and cut into thin strips (julienne). Mix red cabbage with salt in a bowl. Alternatively, drain the red cabbage from glass jars.
- Peel and cut onions and apples into small cubes. Heat oil and butter mix in cooking pot or Dutch oven and fry onion and apple cubes for 3 minutes until brown.
- Stir red cabbage into pan and fry for 2 more minutes.
- Add red currant juice, laurel, cinnamon and cloves, stir, cover and cook on medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cassis and season with salt and pepper, stir and serve.