- 1 pound Morello cherries or other dark red sour cherries
- 1/2 pound each red and black currants
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons crème de cassis
- currants for garnish
- Wash the fruit, removed cherry pits and separate the currants from the stems. Bring the fruit, the sugar and 1/3 cup of water to a boil and cook everything until the fruit releases some juice. Gently mash the fruit in the process. Place the mixture into a sieve and remove most of the juice (keep the juice for drinking). Let the mixture cool down and add Crème de Cassis to taste.
- Transfer the mixture into a shallow bowl and freeze it. When the mixture starts to freeze, stir it in order to break down the ice crystals. Repeat this process until the sorbet is fully frozen. Serve in dessert glasses and garnish with fresh currants.