Kirschsuppe mit Griessklösschen
Surprise your family or guests with this wonderful cold fruit soup which can be served as appetizer or dessert. The scrumptious cream of wheat dumplings add substance to this great summer dish.
- 2 pounds fresh morello cherries or other dark red sour cherries
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar 120g
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- grated zest of 1 organic lemon
- 1/3 cup Griess (cream of wheat) 50g,
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons kirsch or rum optional
- Wash the fresh cherries and remove the pits. In a large saucepan combine 4 cups of water with 1/2 cup of sugar, the vanilla bean (sliced open) and the cinnamon stick. Add the cherries and boil the mixture for 10 minutes. Mix the cornstarch with some cold water until smooth, add it to the soup and let it come to a boil again.
- Meanwhile bring the milk with the lemon zest and 2 tablespoons of sugar to a boil, add the cream of wheat and stir it for 5 minutes over low heat. In a small bowl mix the egg yolks and add a little of the cream of wheat mixture to the eggs. Then add the egg mixture to the cream of wheat and combine wel.
- Using 2 teaspoons form small dumplings and let them slip into the simmering cherry soup. Take the soup off the stove, let it cool down, then chill it.
- Before serving add Kirsch or Rum to taste.