Schokoladen und Kirsch Torte
Make a light textured dark chocolate cake in the shape of a spongecake flan base. Top with whipped cream and Quark and either fresh raspberries or cherries in syrup with a little thickened juice from the fruits.
- 3-1/2 oz caster sugar very fine granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 free-range eggs
- 3-1/2 oz plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 oz cocoa powder
- 3-1/2 oz ground hazelnuts or almonds
- 3-1/2 oz grated chocolate
- 24 oz jar cherries in syrup
- 1 teaspoon corn flour or potato starch
- 7 oz double cream
- 4-1/2 oz Quark or substitute 125 g, 1/2 of a 250 g tub
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar or to taste
Recipe courtesy of Roz Denny, Modern German Food
- Grease a 28 cm (11-inch) sponge flan tin and dust lightly with a little flour. Heat the oven to 35O degrees F.
- Whisk the sugar, vanilla sugar or essence with the eggs until thick and creamy when the mixture leaves a trail when the beaters are lifted up. This is best done with an electric whisk.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder together. Fold into the mixture then add the nuts and grated chocolate.
- Spoon into the tin, level the top and bake for about 30 minutes, until firm and cooked. Cool for 5 minutes in the tin, then turn out and cool completely.
- Drain the cherries , reserving 100 ml of the juice.(Use the rest in a jelly or drink if you don't want to waste it.) Slake the corn flour or potato starch with a tablespoon of the juice.
- Heat the saved juice until boiling. Mix a little hot liquid with the slaked starch and then p our all of it into the pan and simmer until thickened. Cool slightly then mix with the fruits and cool completely until glossy.
- Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks and fold in the Quark and a tablespoon of caster sugar. Spoon on top of the flan case. Drizzle over the glossy fruits. Cool until set then serve cut in wedges.