Cinnamon Stars are the quintessential Christmas cookie – crisp, spicy cookies make a perfect snack after a day outdoors. Serve them with big pitchers of mulled wine and hot chocolate.
- 14 oz unpeeled almonds 400g
- 3 egg whites
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar plus extra for decoration, 250g
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 280°F.
- Finely chop or grind almonds (food processor works great). Whip the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff. Sift the confectioner's sugar and gradually fold it under the egg whites. Reserve and put aside 2 heaped tablespoons of this mixture. Gently stir the almonds and cinnamon into the egg mixture.
- Sprinkle the work surface with confectioner's sugar. Roll out the mixture to about ¼ inch thick. Cut out cookies using a star cutter and place them on a cookie sheet lined with non-stick parchment paper. Dip the cutter into confectioner's sugar from time to time to stop the mixture from sticking to it. Brush each star with a little of the reserved egg mixture.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until crisp on the outside.
- The cookies should still be a little soft in the center.