This skillet is the epitome of seasonal comfort food: nutritious pumpkin and potatoes in a wonderfully rich cream base, enriched with Speck and spiced up with chili and peppercorns. Parmesan and arugula round off this great fall dish. You'll need a 2 pound wedge of fresh pumpkin, which will yield 1 to 1-1/2 pounds of usable pumpkin meat, once the seeds and rind are removed.
- 2 pounds fresh pumpkin (1 - 1-1/2 pounds cleaned)
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1.4 ounces Speck (double-smoked bacon), 40 g
- 1 chile pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- pink peppercorns
- 1 cup heavy cream scant
- 1/2 cup milk scant
- 3-1/2 ounces arugula 100 g
- 1-3/4 ounces fresh parmesan cheese 50 g
- Cut the pumpkin into wedges and remove the seeds. Peel the pumpkin and cut the pumpkin meat into cubes.
- Peel, wash and cube the potatoes. Peel and dice the onion. Cut the speck into small cubes. Slice the chile open, remove the seeds and chop it finely.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the speck and diced onions and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add the potatoes and pumpkin. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sauté the ingredients for 15 minutes.
- Add chile and pink peppercorns. Then add the cream and milk and let the ingredients simmer for five minutes over low heat.
- In the meantime rinse and clean the arugula, chop it coarsely and gently combine it with the other ingredients in the skillet. Season to taste one last time and serve with parmesan shavings.