Zwiebelsuppe mit dunklem Bier
Onion soup with a Bavarian Oktoberfest twist, quick and easy to make.
- 4 Brandt Zwieback toasts
- 4 onions
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 quart beef broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup dark beer German Dark Oktoberfest Bier
- 3 tbsp chopped chives
Recipe courtesy of Brandt Zwieback
- Peel onions and cut into rings. Heat half the butter and sauté onions until soft and translucent. Add broth and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Soak the Zwieback briefly in the dark beer. Heat the remaining butter in a frying pan and fry the Zwieback on both sides till golden brown.
- Serve the soup in bowls, topped with the browned Zwieback toasts and chopped chives.
- (As an alternative to beer, sprinkle the Zwieback with celery and onion salt, top with cheese and grill in the oven before adding to soup.)
- Prep Time under 25 minutes