Kürbisgulasch mit Fisolen, Debrezinern und Kümmelrahm
A rich Hungarian-style goulash with squash, beans, and Debreziner sausage, made famous in the Hungarian city of the same name. A perfect evening meal for Fall or Winter.
Region Germany, Austria, Hungary
Servings 4 People
For the Goulash
- 1 whole acorn squash
- 2 whole yellow onions
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cane sugar
- 1 tbsp paprika seasoning hot
- 1 tbsp paprika seasoning sweet
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 5 1/4 cups stock Beef, Chicken, or Vegetable
- 1/2 tsp cumin seasoning Ground
- 1 tbsp marjoram Dried
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 dash salt and pepper
- 1 bunch string beans Green
- 1 bunch string beans Yellow
- 3 whole Debreziner sausages
- 1 dash corn starch use as desired to bind sauce
- 1 dash savory herb seasoning Ger.: Bohnenkraut
For the Cumin Sour Cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 dash cumin Ground
- 1 dash apple vinegar
- 1 dash salt and pepper Fresh Ground
- Peel the squash, remove the seeds, and cut into course chunks (approximately 1 in. x 1 in.) Peel onion and garlic and dice finely.
- Heat a little olive oil and sauté the onions in it. Then add the squash and sauté briefly. Add sugar and allow to caramelize. Dust with both varieties of paprika seasoning, add tomato paste and stock. Season with cumin, marjoram, garlic, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Let cook for appx. 10 minutes.
- Blanch string beans in salt water, shock in cold water, and halve.
- Slice the Debreziner sausages in diagonal pieces, not too thin. Add the Debreziner sausages and string beans to the goulash and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Dissolve a bit of corn starch in cold water and stir into the goulash so that the mixture becomes a chowder consistency.
- In a separate bowl, stir together all ingredients for the cumin sour cream.
- Serve the goulash in deep bowls, add 1 tbsp (or more as desired) of the cumin sour cream on top and garnish with savory herb seasoning (Bohnenkraut).