In 1832 Gustav Louis Zietemann unveiled his new creation named Spritzkuchen, made of choux pastry, baked in fat, and covered with icing. Ten years later, he started selling his pastry to passengers at the local train station. This was the path to success. The pastry became popular and a favorite with more than just the locals of Eberswalde. Popular German crullers, these star-shaped deep-fried donuts are coated with powdered sugar and lemon juice or rum.
- 1 cup water
- pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 oz vanilla sugar
- 2.8 oz butter or margarine
- 7 oz flour
- 5-6 eggs
- Some oil to glaze
- Chip fat deep frying
- 7 oz powdered sugar
- 6-8 tea spoons lemon juice or rum
- Add water, salt, sugar and vanilla sugar into a pot. Add the softened butter or margarine in small pieces. Mix together and bring to a short boil. Then immediately remove the pot from the stove.
- Mix in the flour. Put the pot back on the stove, and keep stirring the mixture until a smooth lump has formed leaving behind a white layer at the bottom of the pot.
- Place the lump into a bowl and mix with an egg. This has to be done quickly so the egg white does not clot. Cool down dough until it reaches body temperature, then add the remaining eggs one by one making sure the egg is completely mixed into the dough before adding the next one.
- After the fifth egg has been added, check the dough using a spoon. If the shining dough corners hang over the rim of the spoon, it is not necessary to add the sixth egg.
- Now fill the dough into an icing bag with a star shaped spout. Use parchment paper cut into 16 squares of 5 x 5 inches each and spreading a thin layer of oil on each. Squirt a circle of dough on each square.
- Having preheated the oil in the deep fryer to 356 degrees Fahrenheit, take 3 to 4 of the cakes and let them glide into the hot oil and fry them for about 5 minutes. Flip once and remove them once they are golden brown. Immediately place them on a paper towel to soak up the excess oil. Let them cool.
- Stir the powdered sugar with lemon juice or rum and coat the Spritzkuchen with it.