- 1-2/3 lb raisins
- 4 tbsp brandy or rum
- 3-1/3 lb flour
- 1-1/2 cubes yeast
- 17 oz milk
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 lb butter room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups almonds
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 3-1/2 tbsp butter for brushing
- powdered sugar for coating
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Mix the raisins with the alcohol. Place the flour in a bowl and press down with your fist creating a depression in the center. Stir the yeast together with 1 cup of warm milk and 1 tsp sugar. Pour into the depression and stir into the flour until the mixture forms a thick paste. Cover and let stand for about 15 minutes.
- Next, add the remaining sugar, 1-2/3 lb of the butter, and salt to the ingredients in the bowl and knead into a smooth dough.
- Add the soaked raisins with almonds and lemon zest to the dough. Knead well, cover and allow to rise for at least 30 minutes.
- Knead the dough vigorously on a floured work surface. Form two logs. Place the logs on a greased baking sheet and bake at 350°F/180°C for about 60 minutes.
- Melt the remaining butter. While the Schittchen are still hot, coat them with the butter. Lastly, coat each thickly with powdered sugar.
10 g protein
33 g fat
76 g carbohydrates