Feuerzangenbowle is the name of a spectacular German drink that’s become a popular holiday season tradition. Germany's most spectacular drink is consists of red wine, juice and spices, prepared in a fireproof bowl. Please read important safety note.
- 2 organic oranges
- 2 organic lemons
- 2 bottles dry red wine
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves
- 1 pinch ginger ground
- 1 sugar cone
- 2 cups brown rum at least 54% alcohol
- Wash oranges and lemons thoroughly, pat dry and cut into slices or wedges. In a large pot combine red wine, oranges, lemons cinnamon, cloves and ginger.
- Heat slowly making sure it does not come to a boil. Remove pot from heat and place on a heat source (such as from a Fondue set).
- Place sugar cone into metal holder ("Feuerzange"). Soak sugar cone with rum and carefully light it. The sugar will melt and drip into the wine. Little by little start adding more rum to the sugar cone using a long-handled ladle.
- Once the sugar cone and rum have completely burned off, gently stir the concoction and serve in mugs or heatproof glasses.
Important note on safety: This recipe requires handling alcohol and open flames. Be extremely careful and proceed with caution.