Thin sliced frankfurters are the star in a soup flavored by bacon, onions, and creme fraiche with mashed potatoes and fresh herbs.
- 4 cooked Frankfurter Würstchen sausages thinly sliced
- 2 oz butter
- 4 oz bacon
- 2 small onions finely diced
- 6-1/2 cups beef or chicken broth
- 4 tbsp crème fraiche
- 2 large potatoes cooked and mashed
- 1 bunch herbs such as chives and parsley
- Gently fry the bacon and onions in half the butter; add the broth. Mix in the creme fraiche and bring to a boil. Mix in the mashed potatoes and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Heat the rest of the butter until foamy and toss the sausages in the butter, warming them without frying them.
- Add the herbs to the hot soup, bring off the boil and add the sausages just before serving.