Thin sliced frankfurters are the star in a soup flavored by bacon, onions, and creme fraiche with mashed potatoes and fresh herbs.
- 4 cooked Frankfurter Würstchen sausages thinly sliced
- 2 ounces butter
- 4 ounces bacon
- 2 small onions finely diced
- 6-1/2 cups beef or chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons crème fraiche
- 2 large potatoes cooked and mashed
- 1 bunch herbs such as chives and parsley
Gently fry the bacon and onions in half the butter; add the broth. Mix in the creme fraiche and bring to a boil. Mix in the mashed potatoes and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Heat the rest of the butter until foamy and toss the sausages in the butter, warming them without frying them.
Add the herbs to the hot soup, bring off the boil and add the sausages just before serving.