Classic German fried potatoes with a blast of flavor from mushrooms, tomatoes, and bacon!
- 1 ½ lbs firm, round potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ cup bacon or schinken cubed
- 1 lb mixed forest mushrooms (button, shiitake, portobello, porcini or others)
- 3 tbsp canola frying oil or other high-temp frying oil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- 1 pinch pepper to taste
- Wash potatoes and add to a pot with cold water. Bring water to a boil, add salt and cook for 15 min or until potatoes are soft.
- In the meantime, peel and chop onions and garlic. Cut bacon into small cubes.
- Drain potatoes, peel, and cut into thin ¼ inch slices.
- Heat a large non-stick pan without butter or oil. Brown bacon on medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent. Remove bacon and onions.
- Add 1 tbsp of frying oil and add potato slices. Fry on both sides for about 4 minutes, until golden brown. Add salt, pepper, and dry herbs. Stir in bacon and onion mix.
- At the same time, heat 2 tbsp frying oil and cook mushrooms on high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Wash cherry tomatoes, cut into halves and add with mushrooms to the potatoes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.