This is a flexible recipe that varies as the season progresses. In early summer, for example, the fruit might be largely strawberries and the wine a Rosé. Apricots and Sekt is another great combination.
- 2 pounds ripe seasonal fruit
- 2 bottles German wine
- 2 bottles sparkling German wine
- sugar to taste
- 1 cup crushed mint leaves
- 1 - 2 small lemons or limes sliced thinly
- Wash and prepare the fruit, removing leaves stems, pits, and halving or slicing as desired to make the prettiest presentation.
- Crush, or muddle, the mint leaves in a bowl with sugar. Add the fruit and mix.
- Add the wine and serve!
Some like to soak the fruit overnight in vodka or schapps. If so, reserve some of the fruit to add at the last minute for decoration.
For a non-alcoholic version, use apple juice and sparkling apple cider instead of the wine.