For the dough:
- 5/8 cup flour
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 cups water
For the filling:
- 7/8 cups grated Sbrinz cheese
- 2 cups quark
- 2 eggs
- 2 bunches of green onions cut into thin rings
- ground nutmeg
Recipe courtesy of Executive Chef Andreas Appenzeller, Hotel Frutt Lodge and Spa in Melchsee-Frutt, Switzerland
- Preheat the oven to 430ºF. Prepare a deep-dish square pan by buttering and lightly flouring it.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine flour, butter, and salt to make the dough. Using your hands, continually knead the dough while adding just enough water until the dough is smooth and elastic. Form a ball and wrap into foil. Allow to refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place the dough onto a large and floured surface. Roll out the dough until thin. Place onto the prepared pan. Using a fork, puncture the dough all over. Sprinkle the Sbrinz cheese over the thin dough.
- In a bowl, combine the quark and eggs. Stir well. Fold in the green onion rings and spices. Pour over the cheese layer.
- Bake for about 40-50 minutes.