This basic German cheese fondue is sure to become a holiday favorite.
- 2 pounds German mountain cheese (Allgäuer Emmentaler or Bergkäse)
- 1 bottle dry German white wine
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 Tbsp German Kirsch (Kirschwasser) plus 1 teaspoon
- lemon juice
- Grate the cheese. Cut the garlic clove in half and rub the inside of the fondue pot with it. Warm the wine (don't let it come to a boil), add the grated cheese and let melt in the wine, stirring constantly (some lumps are normal).
- Combine the corn starch with Kirschwasser and add to the pot. This should create a thick but smooth cheese mixture. Add a dash of lemon juice, a bit of freshly ground nutmeg and pepper.
- Serve with French bread, cut into cubes, and a fresh salad.
Lugano Fondue Set