A German take on Hungarian Goulasch, in the form of a hearty winter soup. Serve with a dry German red wine.
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 lb beef stew cubes
- 1 large fresh onion minced
- 3 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 3 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup German dry red wine
- 8 cups beef stock
- 1 large fresh carrot cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 fresh celery rib diced
- 2 potatoes peeled and coarsely chopped
- sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Place oil in large pot over medium heat. Sauté beef with onion and garlic in vegetable oil until beef is browned.
- Stir in paprika and tomato paste. Deglaze with red wine. Add beef stock. Simmer and add carrot, celery and potatoes.
- Continue to cook until meat and vegetables are tender, about 1 hour. Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
Try a red wine from grapes such as the Dornfelder or Schwarzriesling. Prep Time: 20 minutes. Cooking time: 1 hour.