A German take on Hungarian Goulasch, in the form of a hearty winter soup. Serve with a dry German red wine.
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 lb beef stew cubes
- 1 large fresh onion minced
- 3 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 3 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup German dry red wine
- 8 cups beef stock
- 1 large fresh carrot cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 fresh celery rib diced
- 2 potatoes peeled and coarsely chopped
- sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
Place oil in large pot over medium heat. Sauté beef with onion and garlic in vegetable oil until beef is browned.
Stir in paprika and tomato paste. Deglaze with red wine. Add beef stock. Simmer and add carrot, celery and potatoes.
Continue to cook until meat and vegetables are tender, about 1 hour. Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
Try a red wine from grapes such as the Dornfelder or Schwarzriesling. Prep Time: 20 minutes. Cooking time: 1 hour.