Though both New York and Omaha claim to be home of the famous Reuben sandwich, it is actually created using German ingredients.
- 4 slices Pumpernickel bread
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 small pickle minced
- 4 ounces Westphalian ham
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut drained and patted dry
- 1 slice Tilsiter cheese
Recipe courtesy of Marcel Biró
- Preheat broiler. Toast the bread to your liking.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, ketchup, and pickle. Spread one side of each bread slice with the mayonnaise blend. Pile ham on one slice of bread, and cover with the sauerkraut. Top with the cheese.
- Broil open faced until the cheese melts. Top with the other slice of toasted bread. Cut the sandwiches in half, and serve.