Frankfurter Würstchen im Schlafrock
Easy German version of Pigs in a Blanket starts with crustless bread with German flavors like curry ketchup, gherkins, and German mustard. Make with your kids!
- 6 large thin slices white bread
- German mustard sweet or medium-hot, to spread
- a little curry ketchup such as Hela or Zeisner
- 6 Frankfurters such as Boeklunder or Meica
- 3 slivered German pickled gherkins such as Hengstenberg or Kuehne
- 1-3/4 oz butter melted
Recipe courtesy of Roz Denny, Modern German Cooking
- Cut the crusts from the bread and using a rolling pin, roll to make the bread a little pliable.
- Spread thinly with the mustard making sure it reaches the edges evenly, then drizzle over a little curry ketchup, if used. Place a Frankfurter at the top end and tuck in a couple or more the gherkin slices.
- Roll up quite firmly, place joint side down on a baking tray and secure with a wooden toothpick. Brush the top and sides with the melted butter.
- Make 5 more rolls in the same way then bake for 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Remove and cool until warm. Take out the sticks before serving.
- Alternative suggestion: Use a pretzel dough to make pigs in the Bavarian pretzel blanket. We recommend the Kathi Pretzel Mix to make a perfect pretzel dough.