Potatoes and lentils are a popular combination in German cuisine and this salad brings them together in a fresh and delicious way. The recipe is easy to make because the potatoes and lentils may be cooked together.
- 1 pound boiling potatoes peeled
- 1/2 cup dry red lentils picked over and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped German pickled pearl onions
- 1 German dill pickle finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Bavarian beer vinegar
- 1 tablespoon German mustard preferably Bavarian-style
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cover potatoes and lentils with water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered until both are tender, about 25 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Cut potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Combine in a large bowl with pearl onions, pickle and parsley. In a smaller bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard and salt and pepper. Pour dressing over salad and toss well. Season with more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve salad at room temperature or chilled.