Potatoes and lentils are a popular combination in German cuisine and this salad brings them together in a fresh and delicious way. The recipe is easy to make because the potatoes and lentils may be cooked together.
- 1 pound boiling potatoes peeled
- 1/2 cup dry red lentils picked over and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped German pickled pearl onions
- 1 German dill pickle finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Bavarian beer vinegar
- 1 tablespoon German mustard preferably Bavarian-style
- salt and pepper to taste
Cover potatoes and lentils with water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered until both are tender, about 25 minutes. Drain and let cool.
Cut potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Combine in a large bowl with pearl onions, pickle and parsley. In a smaller bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard and salt and pepper. Pour dressing over salad and toss well. Season with more salt and pepper if necessary.
Serve salad at room temperature or chilled.