These gingerbread cookies have the flavor of traditional Lebkuchen, the famous German Christmas cookies, but in a simplified recipe suitable for the home baker.
- 1-5/8 cup flour plus extra to dust, 380g
- 1 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoons mixed spices such as German gingerbread spice mix
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 125g
- 1 cup dark brown sugar 175g
- 1 medium egg beaten
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoons seasonal sprinkles for decoration such as German Christmas sugar sprinkles
Preheat the oven to 375° F.
Sift the flour, ginger and mixed spices into a bowl. Add butter and sugar and combine the ingredients making sure to remove all the lumps from the sugar. Stir in the egg and maple syrup, then mix until combined. Tip out onto a floured surface and roll out to 5mm thickness.
Using Christmas cookie cutters, cut out shapes and carefully lift them onto a cookie sheet lined with baking parchment.
Bake for 10-12 minutes then place on a wire rack to cool.
Be creative and decorate with German sugar sprinkles, chocolate decorations and/or a sugar glaze to your own taste!