- 2-1/4 lbs of beef from the hip, 1 kg
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 onions
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar 125 ml
- 1/2 cup stock 125 ml
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 clove
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- a few juniper berries
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons of sugar beet syrup
- 2 oz raisins 50 g
- 1 dark gravy thickener
- pinch cayenne pepper
- Rinse beef, pat dry, season with salt and pepper and put it into a Dutch oven. Peel onions and carrots, dice both.
- Heat vinegar and broth in a pot. Add carrots, onions, bay leaves, cloves, peppercorns and juniper berries, bring to a boil then reduce heat and pour over the meat.
- Marinate the meat covered about 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
- Preheat electric oven to 180 degrees. Take Sauerbraten from the Sud, pat dry and fry in hot butter in a roasting pan on all sides, add marinade and cook approximately 1.5-2 hours covered (electric and gas oven: 180 degrees / 4, convection oven 160 degrees).
- Remove roast to pass sauce through a sieve, stir in Grafschafter Goldsaft syrup, bring to a boil and thicken with sauce thickener. Stir in raisins and season the sauce with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Cut roast into slices and serve as desired with dumplings and seasonal vegetables.
Marinating time: 2-3 days