Gulasch im Kartoffelrand
Warming pork goulash served in a golden baked mashed potato ring - great presentation for a perennial favorite winter dish.
- 1-3/4 lbs pork tenderloin
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter Butterschmalz
- 1 lb red onions cut into 8 pieces each
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 small can tomatoes
- 2 green bell peppers diced
- 1/2 lb button mushrooms
- 1 cup meat stock
- 1 package instant mashed potatoes such as Panni or Dr. Knoll brand
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the pork into generous cubes. In a Dutch oven brown the meat in the clarified butter. Add the onions and season with salt, pepper, marjoram and paprika. Add the tomatoes and place in preheated oven for about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and add the bell peppers, mushrooms and meat stock. Put back into oven for another 20 minutes.
- Prepare instant mashed potatoes as indicated on the package but using slightly less water. Place the potato mixture into an icing bag (or create your own from a plastic freezer bag by cutting out one of the corners). On a large round ovenproof serving platter create a ring with the mashed potatoes. Beat the egg yolk and brush it onto the potato ring. Place in oven for about 5 minutes to slightly brown the top of the potatoes. Fill the ring with goulash and serve.