- Cover the beans with cold water the day before and let them sit overnight. The next day, rinse in a colander. Put the beans into a soup pot with the vegetable stock and bay leaves, and bring to a standing boil. Remove any foam, and cook covered for 35 to 40 minutes over low heat.
- While the beans cook, finely chop the onion and mince the garlic. Clean the spring onions and cut into long diagonal strips, the full length of the onion and its green.
- Drain the canned tomatoes, saving the juice. Cube the tomatoes into small cubes.
- Clean the fennel, put the greens aside and cut the tuber into very fine slices, then carefully brown them in two tablespoons of olive oil on each side until golden brown, drain on kitchen paper. Cook the onion and garlic in the remaining oil until translucent. Add the spring onion strips and chopped tomato and the tomato juice and bring just to a boil. Season with salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar.
- Remove the bay leaves. Mix the beans into the soup and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet and drain.
- FInely chop the fennel greens. Add the fennel slices and chopped fennel greens to the beans, add the pasta. Season if needed to taste.
- Serve in deep soup bowls and sprinkle with parmesan.