A healthy, tasty salad of grilled asparagus spears, beets, prosciutto, crumbled cheese and pine nuts with mixed greens and honey mustard dressing. Serve with German fitness bread for a great light meal.
- 20 young pencil-thin asparagus spears washed and trimmed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp German vinegar
- 2 tsp German honey
- 2 tsp German sweet mustard
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp minced shallots
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 6 cups European Salad mix pre-washed and trimmed
- 1 jar German red beet balls drained, 19 oz
- 4 oz Black Forest-style ham or German prosciutto sliced paper-thin
- 6 oz German Cambozola cheese crumbled and divided
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 4 slices toasted German bread whole rye, Fitnessbrot, sunflower seed or pumpernickel
- 2 tbsp butter
Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper, line up the asparagus on the paper and brush with olive oil. Roast in preheated oven at 400 degrees F for six minutes.
Combine vinegar, honey, mustard, lemon juice, shallots, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil to blend.
Line four salad plates with European salad mix. Divide the beets among the plates; attractively roll and arrange the ham or prosciutto on each salad.
Top each salad with five spears of grilled asparagus. Crumble 2 oz of the Cambozola cheese over the salads and top with pine nuts. Stir vinaigrette and adjust seasoning, if desired; drizzle over salads.
Butter the toasted bread; cut each slice in half and then in half diagonally to form two triangles. Sprinkle the toast points with the remaining 4 oz Cambozola and place in hot oven just to soften and warm cheese.
Place four triangles attractively around each salad. Enjoy with a glass of crisp German Riesling wine.