This morning cereal recipe is based on a recipe from Hildegard von Bingen. Von Bingen was a visionary, theologian, natural scientist, herbalist, poet, composer, founder of two Benedictine monasteries and an abbess. von Bingen was an enthusiastic advocate of spelt grain as easier to digest and more suited to the German environment.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup spelt meal or spelt flakes
- 1 apple chopped or grated
- 1 pinch ginger or galangal powder
- 1 pinch Bertram powder optional
- 2 tsp honey
- cinnamon to taste
- Stir the spelt meal into cold water and gently boil for 5 inutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the grated apple, ginger (or galangal), bertram (optional). Add the honey and serve warm, sprinkled with cinnamon.
- If desired, top with pumpkin seeds, coconut flakes and/or driedcranberries.