Cod or pollack fillets, dipped in pilsner beer dough and deep fried, are served inside a German kaiser or pretzel roll with lettuce and sauce remoulade
Servings 4 fish rolls
For the cucumber relish:
- 26 oz pickles with their juice, 750g
- 2 onions
- 1 Tbsp mustard seeds
- 9 oz brown sugar 250g
- 1 tsp turmeric
- white wine vinegar to taste
- 1 Tbsp chopped dill
For the Fried fish:
- 4 pieces cod or pollack fillet approx. 140 g each
- 8 oz flour 250g
- 12 fl oz pilsner beer 375 ml
- 4 milk rolls
- fat for deep-frying
- freshly ground pepper
- 4 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 8 small lettuce heart leaves
- 3 screw-top jars each 250 ml
For the pickle relish:
- Push the pickles through a sieve, catching the juice and cutting the rest into fine cubes. Peel the onions and dice them fine. Mix both in a bowl with 2-3 tablespoons of salt and let steep for 3 hours. Put the mixture in a sieve and drain well. Coarsely crush the mustard seeds in a mortar.
- In a saucepan, mix 10 oz (300 ml) of pickle juice with the crushed mustard seeds, sugar and turmeric, and bring to a boil. Add the pickle and onion mixture. Simmer gently for 25 minutes, after which most of the liquid should be boiled away.
- Season with a little white wine vinegar. Stir in the chopped dill.
- Pour the pickle relish into jars that have been rinsed with hot water and close tightly.
For the fried fish:
- Pat the fish dry and remove any remaining bones, season them with salt and pepper. Put 50 g flour in a bowl and lightly salt, make a deep hollow in it.
- Pour in the pilsner beer and stir in with a whisk from the inside out, until a smooth dough is formed. Heat the fat in a tall, wide saucepan to 180 degrees.
- Put the remaining flour on a flat plate. Turn the fish fillets in it until they are completely covered, knock off any excess flour.
- One by one, pull the fillets through the dough and wipe off any excess dough on the edge of the bowl.
- Carefully slide the fish fillets into the hot fat in portions and cook for about 2 minutes until they are golden brown. Turn with the help of 2 forks and continue for 2 minutes on the other side. Lift out and drain on paper towels.
- Cur the rolls in half, making sure not to cut entirely through, and brush the inside surfaces with a little mayonnaise. Put 2 lettuce leaves on each side and spread some pickle relish on top.
- Place 1 piece of fried fish on top and cover with the bread roll lid.