A light, hazelnut and walnut cake baked in a ring and decorated with a simple glaze.
For the Dough:
- 9 fresh medium eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar 300 g
- 1 pinch salt
- 3-1/3 cups ground hazelnuts 400 g
- 2/3 cup ground walnuts 100 g
For the Icing:
- 2 cups powdered sugar 200g
- yellow food color
- 1 fresh medium egg white
- some sugar flowers
- Separate 5 eggs. Beat 4 whole eggs and the 5 separated yolks until creamy white, cream the beaten eggs with the sugar. Add the pinch of salt to the separated egg whites and beat until stiff. Mix together the beaten egg whites, the walnuts and the hazelnuts, and then fold into the egg yolk cream.
- Take a 8 cup (2 liter) ring shaped cake form and pour in the batter to about 3/4 full, because the dough will rise quite a lot. Bake in a preheated over at 325 degrees F (160 C) about 60 minutes. Remove the cake from the mold and cool on a wire rack.
- For the icing, sift the powdered sugar and mix into the egg white. Remove 4 tablespoons of this glaze and tint with yellow food coloring. Put the yellow glaze into a freezer bag and set aside. Coat the cake with the white glaze and let dry. Then, cut off the tip of one of the corners of the freezer bag to use for piping the yellow glaze. Pipe thick lines of the yellow glaze to look like yellow petals. While the glaze is still wet, decorate with sugar flowers.