These macaroon cookies use hazelnuts instead of the usual coconut. Topped with a whole hazelnut and baked on German baking wafers (oblaten), they're a great German Christmas cookie.
Servings 40 cookies
- 4 egg whites
- 1-1/4 cups extra fine sugar 250g
- 1 lbs ground hazelnuts
- 1 Tbsp vanilla sugar
- 1/3 tsp vanilla extract
- 40 whole hazelnuts to decorate
- 40 small round baking wafers Backoblaten
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Add sugar and continue to beat until well combined. With a rubber spatula, carefully fold under hazelnuts, vanilla sugar and vanilla extract. Using a teaspoon, scoop dough onto a cookie sheet lined with baking parchment. If using baking wafers, place cookie dough onto small round baking wafers (Backoblaten) and transfer onto cookie sheet. Place a whole hazelnut on top of each cookie.
- Bake on bottom rack at 300 degrees for 30-40 minutes.