Herzhafte Sauerkraut Quiche
A delectable quiche made with mild wine sauerkraut and ham on a crunchy home-made pizza crust.
- 1 pack pre-made chilled pizza dough in refrigerated case at your supermarket
- 8 oz smoked cooked ham we recommend Kasseler Schinken
- 2 spring onions
- 1 19.4 oz can Mildessa Wine Sauerkraut
- 1 cup Schmand* or sour cream
- 3 eggs
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tsp chopped fresh parsley
Recipe courtesy of Hengstenberg
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Roll out the pizza dough and put into a 9-inch springform baking pan. Pull dough a bit up the sides of the form.
- Cut ham in thin strips. Clean and cut the spring onions into small rings. Mix the drained sauerkraut with the ham and onions. Spread onto the dough.
- Mix the schmand or sour cream with eggs, salt and pepper; stir well and pour into the baking form.
- Bake the quiche approximately 30 – 35 minutes or until the top is golden-brown. Let cool a little, sprinkle with parsley flakes and serve.
Preparation time: 20 minutes, baking time 30 – 35 minutes *Schmand is a German/Austrian dairy specialty, similar, but not exactly the same as Quark. It's hard to find in North America. If you can't find Schmand, you can use a mix of cottage cheese or sour cream with cream cheese in a ratio of 2 to 1 (for example, 2/3 cup cottage cheese to 1/3 cup sour cream to substitute for 1 cup of Schmand.