A great side dish for sports event parties or summer barbecues.
- 2-3 pounds fresh green cabbage
- 1 cup crunchy German sauerkraut in a glass jar Hengstenberg or Kühne
- 3 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Hofbräu beer
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Recipe courtesy of Löwenbräu
- Wash the cabbage under cold running water. Remove tough outer leaves, and cut the cabbage into quarters. To shred the cabbage, cut out the core and slice the quarters crosswise into 1/8 inch-wide strips. Place the cabbage into a large mixing bowl.
- Wash and seed the bell pepper, removing the pith. Cut into strips. Add the sauerkraut, onion and bell pepper to the cabbage and mix well with a spoon.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, beer, celery seed, salt and a few grindings of black pepper. Stir with a wire whisk until all the ingredients are blended. Pour the mixture over the cabbage and toss together gently but thoroughly. Taste for seasoning.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the coleslaw for about an hour before serving.