Knackwurst in Bockbier Marinade mit Zwiebeln und Senf
A grilled knockwurst or bratwurst, basted in a dark beer marinade and served in a crunchy crust bun with caramelized, brown sugar topping and hot Duesseldorf mustard
- 8 sausages such as bratwurst, knackwurst or wieners
- 4 oz Dark Bock or Oktoberfest beer
- 2 oz hot Dusseldorf mustard Lowensenf is the preferred brand
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 oz canola oil
- 16 oz yellow onion peeled, quartered and sliced very thin
- Pierce the skin of the bratwurst with a fork.
- Grill sasuages for approximately 8 minutes until "just about" done.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter into a pot over medium heat until butter is soft. Add sausages and Dark Bock or Oktoberfest beer. Cover and let simmer over very low heat for 20 minutes to 1 hour. The beer flavor will be stronger the longer you keep in the pot. The bratwurst will finish cooking during this step.
- As the bratwursts are simmering, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of butter into a saucepan with onion. Cook until the onions are clear. Once the onions are clear, add the brown sugar and mix with the onions. Take off heat before the brown sugar is added.
- Serve with hot Düsseldorf mustard on a bun with a bottle of Dark Bock or Oktoberfest beer.